Monday, June 19, 2006

Golf: Mickelson Falls Apart on Last Hole of US Open

This U.S. Open will long be remembered as the one Mickelson gave away. 36-year-old Mickelson made a bogey at the 16th and an unthinkable double bogey at the 18th.

"Well, I still am in shock that I did that," Mickelson said. "I’m such an idiot."

Mickelson emerged as the outright leader when he made birdie at the 14th hole to open a two-shot cushion over Furyk, Ogilvy, Harrington and Montgomerie.

Mickelson pushed his 18th tee shot into the trampled rough. He thought he had a good lie and could get on the green.

"I had to hit a big carving slice around the tree and over-cut it," Mickelson said. "In hindsight, if I hit it in the gallery and it doesn’t cut, I am fine. I can still make bogey, even par. I ended up hitting the tree."

His ball advanced less than 30 yards. The 9-iron third shot over the tree then plugged into the soft sand of the front left bunker.

Mickelson, 0-for-5 on the day in sand saves, watched his fourth shot speed past the hole into the fringe. His next shot for bogey and a playoff slid right of the hole.

"It really stings," Mickelson said. "As a kid I dreamt of winning this tournament. I came out here and worked hard all four days, haven’t made a bogey all week and then [double] bogeyed the last hole. I just can’t believe I did that."

Mickelson walked off the 18th green in disbelief.

No comments: